Local Government plays a vital role in negotiating and managing the economic, social and environmental costs and benefits of mining and energy production. It is important that each community achieves the best possible outcomes from its relationship with Government and industry.
Since 1982 our alliance of Councils in NSW has focused on presenting a comprehensive, co-ordinated and co-operative approach to State and Federal Government on issues associated with mining.
Now, your community can benefit from our strength of numbers.
MERC, through its strong network of member Councils, has developed a broad socio–political base, where it is “apolitical” and works closely with the State and Federal Governments of the day.
Our 21 member Councils include large regional Councils through to small Country Shires, all with the same interest of addressing the challenges and opportunities mining and energy developments bring to their local communities.
We have productive relationships with the peak mining group (NSW Minerals Council) and NSW Government departments (Planning, Energy, Resources, Environment, Regional Development, Local Government, Western NSW, Transport, etc.) and work closely with University and Research entities.
We are frequently called upon to assist the State Government with input on its policy and direction with mining and energy related matters, including renewables.
Here is what membership will deliver for your community;
- A united “apolitical voice” for both large regional Councils and small Shire Councils at Regional, State and Federal level,
- The opportunity for you to meet four times a year with the decision makers, Members of Parliament and relevant Department Staff and other significant stakeholders,
- Networking and problem solving with other delegates,
- The opportunity to join working parties set up by MERC on specific matters to assist members,
- Access to our experienced leadership for mentoring, risk management and support,
- Consistent and timely communication through a monthly Newsletter, access to our
web site and regular media releases,
- Sound financial support with ample funds invested to cover contingencies and to
engage consultants and research agencies to undertake studies or prepare
submissions on our members behalf.
Membership of our Association will help to increase your voice and provide the strength and support necessary to make living and growing in your community even better.
For further information on becoming a Member, please email email@example.com